Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Bradley Class #2 and Baby Update

Bradley Class
I love this class! I feel so informed and prepared already and we still have 10 classes left! To start the class out we each got to tell our "Finding out Story". It was fun telling how Sean and I found out we are pregnant and the class really got a kick out of it. If you don't know how we found out the story is in a very earlier post in November of last year. Then after story time we did our weekly relaxation review. Each coach/husband picked a relaxation technique in the class last week and then each week one of the coaches walks us couples through the technique. One technique may work for some while it would not be helpful to others, so it is important that we learn a couple different ones to chose from.This weeks technique was Progressive Relaxation. This technique is to be used during contractions or between contractions in hard labor to achieve deep relaxation. Pretty much the technique is to imagine a relaxing scenario and you integrate in the story systematically tensing and releasing of your muscles, in order to create whole body relaxation.

We then played the "newly prego game". Which is the same as "They Newlywed Game" only about pregnancy. Each coach got a white board and we prego women were asked questions about our favorite food in each category of a well balanced diet. Sean and I tied in the win. He knows me so well :) We also went over Nutrition in class today as well as Breastfeeding. Nutrition in pregnancy is very important. Its not just all about how much weight you do or do not gain. What you take into your body can help or harm you and the baby. I think all women should have a class on nutrition while they are pregnant. The breastfeeding section we just went over a little bit as there will be a whole class devoted to just breastfeeding in the next couple weeks. I'll post more about breastfeeding after class #7 (we will go over more in that class) Also Sean and I are going to take a breastfeeding class next month. He is going because we want him to be a part of everything to do with Noah. Other dads will be in the class as well, they will learn how to be a part of the bonding experience of breastfeeding. In class on Tuesday we went over some of the benefits of breastfeeding. Here are a couple:
  • The bonding
  • Perfect nutrition for the baby
  • The cost savings
  • breast milk has disease-fighting antibodies that can help protect infants from several types of illnesses
  • mothers who breastfeed have a lower risk of some health problems, including breast cancer and type 2 diabetes
  • Enhances Intelligence and Development
  • Promotes Postpartum Weight Loss for the Mom

There are a ton more benefits as well (I'm sure more than I know) so I'll post more later. Why would anyone not choose breastfeeding over formula? (I do realize some women can't breastfeed due to medical problems, in which case formula is perfect for those women) We are doing our presentation next week about being induced. I did a bunch of research on the topic and Sean and I will be putting together the presentation this weekend. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Baby Update
We had our 28th week appointment on Tuesday as well. I had to get my glucose test to see if I have gestational diabetes. I had to drink this nasty bottle full of sugary drink. They lie and tell you it tastes like fruit punch but really it is just grossness disgusted as fruit punch. They also tell you it is like kookaid but really its like a love child of koolaid and soda. It fizzes and I don't like fizz. So I had to drink this stuff in less than five minutes and then wait an hour and have my blood tested. I also had my regular prenatal appointment while I waited for the blood test. Dr Hazzelrigg said that I am doing wonderfully. I felt so accomplished after that appointment! He said that I am doing great with the weight gain, vitamins and everything and that whatever I'm doing keep it up. Noah has a strong heartbeat still and he is doing great. He was kicking pretty hard when Dr Hazzelrigg did the doppler thing to hear his heart. He is such a stinker :) I can't wait for him to come. 11 1/2 weeks until we get our baby boy!!! Now that I'm in the 3rd trimester the appointments are every two weeks. We are going to call the hospital this week and schedule a time to have a tour. It says in my book that he can see light that filters into the womb. Sean and I are going to experiment with this and put a flashlight to my belly and see if he moves to it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments :)